Wednesday 16 April 2014

My Trip To Paris - Day 2: A Full Day French Baking Class And A Night At The Louvre Museum

Another shout out tofor sending me on this trip!  = D


Breakfast

It's Day 2. I was a little cranky because of jet lag and I didn't really have a good night's sleep. Add to the fact that I was still exhausted from walking so much the day before and my muscles and feet hurt. After washing up, we went down for breakfast. They didn't have much variety in food but they did have lots of different types of bread. It is a small hotel so I doubt they'd need a lot of food for guests.



The jars they have are so cute.


They have nutella in small packets like this!! I grabbed quite a few to snack on. Yummy!


So after having our breakfast, we met the other Delifrance winners from Hong Kong and Singapore in the lobby while waiting for the driver that was suppose to pick us up to go to the bakery.


A Full Day of French Baking

This is the bakery where we had the French Baking Class. Ecole de Boulangerie et de Patisserie. It's one of the oldest baking schools in Paris. Since the year 1929.

64 Rue des Pirogues de Bercy - 75012 Paris, France


This is the room where we had our baking class.


Huge commercial baking ovens.


This was our recipe book for the bread we were going to bake. It's great having the recipe, but I don't think that we can get most of the different types of flour here in Malaysia.  = (



So the types of bread we were making were Croissants, Pain au Chocolat and Pain aux Raisins. All 3 are made using croissant dough. We also made the famous traditional French baguette which you will see later.


Look at me plowing away at the dough.  XD


So this is kind of step by step of how we made the croissants. If you really want to see how it's done, you can just watch Gordon Ramsay's visit to a traditional Parisienne bakery.




If you look really closely, you can actually see that there are many layers.



So once we put the croissants aside to rise, we moved on to the Pain au Chocolat. 




After letting them rise, we glazed them with egg.



The Pain aux Raisins were also left to rise and were glazed with egg later on. While we were doing that, our instructor had made the dough for the French baguettes and left it to rise.

While waiting for the dough to rise, we had lunch and a tour of the bakery.
Can you believe that this was our lunch? It was the delivery kind too. Looks mouthwatering doesn't it?


Look at all the different kinds of breads they have.


Don't you think this bread is cute? It looks like some weird bunny but its still cute. Ugly but adorable.  XD


The mixers they have are huge! Look at the size difference between the mixer and my hand.


The French take their bread seriously. Saw some inspectors learning about how to differentiate good bread and quality check.


My bro and I saw something really interesting too! Asterix & Obelix themed chocolate eggs! We laughed and everyone looked at us. I don't think many people would know about Asterix & Obelix. 
GOOGLE it people!


So after the tour, we went back to baking.

Here's a video on YouTube that you can watch about how baguettes are made.


Into the oven they go!


 Voila! Our 3 types of pastry made from our croissant dough.


Check out all the layers.


And our traditional French baguette


When you taste the bread in Paris, you will never be able to eat the bread in Malaysia the same way again. Their bread is the most heavenly thing I've tasted. No bread in Malaysia can compare to this. The baguette was so good that my bro and I remembered a scene from the movie Ratatouille.


Group photo with the teacher and the other Delifrance Winners.
From left: Singapore Winners, us, Hong Kong Winners, and Didier, our teacher.


He's so tall! And I feel so short. 



A Night At The Louvre Museum

So after the baking class and bringing back as many of our pastries as we could, we got the driver to drop us off at The Louvre Museum while he dropped the other winners off at another place. It was absolutely freezing once we got out from the van. I kept shivering the whole night. Guess I should have gotten warmer clothes but I was already wearing 2 layers of clothes under my winter jackets. That's like 4 layers all together.

It looked really crowded so we decided not to go into the museum that day. But it was a chance for me to start learning how to use my DSLR and play around with the aperture and shutter speed.




I can't remember what I did but I just fiddled around with the settings and took this picture. Looks cool. = )


Another panoramic photo. 360 this time.


I noticed this guy too. I think he was trying to take an Instagram photo of some paper doll thingy with the pyramid. Maybe I should find a mascot and do the same thing. = )


This is like a miniature of the arc de triomphe. I think....Behind us is the Louvre and the Pyramid and all the way to the front, you can see the Roue de Paris, a famous Ferris wheel at the Concorde Square. You'll have to walk through a large garden to get there.


From the left: Roue de Paris, Fontaines de la Concorde, and Place de la Concorde.


You'll find a lot of cool things to see and buy along Champs Elysees. Look at all this sweets! <3


There was this guy who decided to entertain us too. I was trying to record a scene with all the different types of  meats, cheese, etc, and he started dancing when he noticed me. Totally cool guy. One of the best things I'll remember about this trip. The guy who danced with a knife.  XD


We bought this funny condom packets too. No I'm not going to use it and no, I'm not giving them to anyone.  =P


We walked all the way from the Ferris Wheel, through Champs Elysees, and we're back at the Arc de Triomphe. Bro wanted to film some scenes for a video.


I couldn't get a nice shot because I was still new at trying to figure out how to take night shots with my DSLR.  = (    I'm a noob. I admit it.


When we got back to our room, I found this on our bed. Yummy candy~




Check out the links below to see the rest of the trip:

If you wanna find out how I won this trip from Delifrance, check out the link below.


*~~~~~ ʕ→ᴥ←ʔ ~~~~~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...